9.27.2010

a wave

One day as I drove to a friend's house, I passed an assisted living center. An old couple was out sitting on the front bench. We exchanged hearty waves when I drove to my friend's house, and also when I came back. It pretty much made my day.

There's constant construction going on around my house. It's nearly impossible for anyone in the area to drive anywhere without being assaulted by orange cones and loud machinery and loads of dust. There's often construction workers who's job is merely to hold a sign that says "slow". What a monotonous task! Sometimes, I like to wave at them when I pass. Maybe it makes them happier, or maybe it has no affect on their life. I'm not quite sure. Either way it gets me in a better mood.

Today, as I was driving home from school, I drove past a lady assigned to the crosswalk. It was hot outside, and I'm sure she was exhausted. As I passed, she gave me a wonderful smile and a big wave. I was surprised, but pleased, so I waved back enthusiastically. As I passed, I could see that in my rear view mirror she waved at every car that drove past her. And let me tell you, it was a pretty busy road.

What's my point with all this talk of old people and construction workers and crosswalk ladies?

I have no idea.

Maybe it's just that a wave can make anyone's day! Do it.

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting. You make me feel really cool.