10.16.2011

Extro to Intro

You know, it's funny how you change as you get older.

I mean, not all that funny. Because that's sort of a given part of life. And you always hear people talk about how much you grow in college and teenage years and all that stuff. And in my head I was always thinking, "Yeah, I'll change, but I really think it won't be that much. I'm pretty much the person I'll be in adulthood."

Yeah, that was a false assumption.

I have changed immensely in the last year. In the last season. In the last 2 months. In the last week.

I always pictured myself an extrovert, mainly. A yellow. Whatever you want to call it.

And I was. Truthfully, I was.

In some ways, of course, I still am. I have no fear of public speaking, I like being the center of attention (one of my great flaws), I enjoy people laughing at my jokes, I love parties and big groups of friends.

But I think there's a possibility of have officially become and introvert.

I love sitting by myself in my room. Alone time is a necessity. Sometimes, I feel like being crazy on campus, but sometimes, I just don't. I like to get to sleep at a good hour so that I'll be happy the next day. When my roommate leaves the room, there's a sense of relief at being able to listen to my music and sing along, even though I really do think my roommate is great.

I like big groups, but sometimes I don't want to be in one.

For a while, I've been thinking this is a problem. I was disappointed with myself for not making lots of friends instantly because, quite honestly, I was comparing myself to my sister.

(Nothing personal to you, Trine.. this my fault) My sister is awesome. Really awesome. She made lots of friends freshman year, went on countless dates during her single college years, and somehow I was expecting my college experience to be the exact same. Trina and I are incredibly similar in our interests, how our high school experience played out, and the way we act.

But I realized that I need to stop expecting my life to be hers. Because it's not.

And it's okay if I'm not the incredible social person I always thought I was.

I still have that aspect of my personality, yes. But it's less prevalent than it used to be.

And I'm totally okay with that.

Because I'm not anyone else, and I don't have to be.

2 comments:

  1. Just don't become so introvert that you forget to play with me sometimes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna bear. You're really great. I have a secret for you...I'm an introvert. Are you surprised? Once I heard a great definition of extroverts and introverts. Extroverts are people who are rejuivinated by other people. Introverts find more personal satisfaction and energy from being alone. I need to be alone a lot. More then you think. You're figuring out your personal needs way before I did. I didn't figure out that I got my energy from being alone until a couple of years ago. And mom and I just talked about how you are just more mature. How you get along better with older men?? Hmmm? You're what we call an old spirit. It's better that way, and you're just finding out the little ways that make you tick and tock. It's great. That's what college is about.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. You make me feel really cool.