8.31.2011
And now I have to do laundry.
I probably got most of you with that post title, eh? You were thinking "Oh, boy. Another post about her really 'awesome' college life and really 'interesting' dorm room."
If you were thinking that, but kept reading, I totally respect you.
As it is, this post isn't really about college life.
Well. It sort of is. But mostly not.
Once upon a time my mother was on the BYU Folk Dance Ensemble. It's kinda a big deal. She was like VP of the whole ordeal (which is the largest and oldest club on campus, might I add), totally smokin', and got to tour all over. Like in JERUSALEM, people. And many places in Europe. And I believe even some Southern states? Anyway, she's great.
Oh, quick insert. Folk dance is dances from around the world, in case you were wondering. It's awesome to watch, and fun to perform.
So then my mom gets married to my father and they start a family and years and years pass. When we move to Utah, my mom drags us along to see the annual performance of "Christmas Around the World". We sit the Marriott Center and moan and groan and try to be entertained. Occasionally, we like it. But I fall asleep during some numbers. And my mom sees all her old teammates and they laugh and smile and tell "Remember when?" stories a lot. And they laugh some more and ask if we'll do folk dance if we go to BYU. And we're all like "No."
As the years pass, we start to enjoy this show. I don't fall asleep anymore, and I even look forward to it. Trina graduates high school and attends BYU. On a whim, she auditions for folk dance and makes it. Christmas Around the World is thereafter even more enjoyable. She starts on one of the 4 lower-level teams, and in the next 5 years works her way up. Now, she is a member of the top team, starting her 2nd year on it. She traveled Eastern Europe in June, met her husband through folk dance, and recently got a scholarship because of her participation.
Yesterday, she encouraged me to come to auditions. I said "No, it's not my thing." Then we run into Cab, my good friend from Jr. High, and she encourages me to come too, because she's auditioning. So I finally am persuaded. We meet a random Sophomore now in folk dance, and she offers to lend me her dancing outfit so I look "official". I am resigned. I go.
We dance. I'm paired with a pre-dance major guy who is rockin' at the polka, and pretty much everything else. We split off. I learn some cool footwork and smile and try to be light on my feet. I'm handed a pink paper, which means I go on to callbacks. I am stunned. I receive a number and try my best to dance Ukrainian, Israeli, and Romanian. I trip over my feet and wonder why they're even keeping me here. They start calling numbers into groups to go sign up for a class.
They call my number.
And here I am, part of a beginning folk dance team, ready to dance it up at Christmas Around the World (which you all must now buy tickets to, if you are able), and sitting in someone else's dance clothes.
Which means I have to do laundry for the first time since I've been here.
Wish me luck.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ahhhh thats so awesome! I'd love to see it. Lets hope they air it. :D
ReplyDeleteTHIS IS THE COOLEST. Perhaps you'll meet your future husband there too ;)
ReplyDelete