7.25.2011

Travelin' the East

So I made the mistake of telling my family I really like cemeteries, and now every time we pass one (a LOT) I hear, "Anna! Look! A cemetery!"
Every time.

Thank you to the lady at Taco Bell/KFC today that said "Okahy," and made us all laugh.

Brother-in-law is super cool because he plays along with my fish jokes.

Elmira, New York - a hidden gem (sorta). You know the line in It's A Wonderful Life when the bank examiner says "I'd like to get home to my family.... In ELIMIRA."? Yeah, my dad loves to quote that to his friend when he leaves work, saying "I'd like to get home to my family.... In (our town)." His friend thinks it's hilarious. We took a picture in front of the welcome sign. Did you know Mark Twain's remains are in Elmira? Betcha didn't. The best part of driving through was when a man with a shotgun got in his car and started following us. All of us just kept saying "sketchy" and we tried to fit the word Elmira into everyone one of our sentences.

Red-eye flight and then the morning in The Big Apple was pretty good. Except for the muggy heat. But I bought some sweet sunglasses for 5 bucks so that mostly makes up for it.

The Sacred Grove, the temple, and other church history sites were incredible. I love my family. And their testimonies. And mine. I'm so grateful.... for everything.

My little sister had to go to the bathroom "SOOO BAD!" on the way to Niagara Falls. Yeah, I know, not very good timing, huh? As we drove through the city, she kept screaming "Pull over! The bushes! I'll do anything!". We tried to explain that we were sort of in the middle of a city and that wasn't really an appropriate place to do her business in the trees. She continued, "Dad!! You're passing all these places!! There! And THERE!! THERE WAS A DUMPSTER!!!!" Yeah. Not kidding. Also, she's 14, in case you were wondering.

My brother has an alter ego: Shawmp Gilbert. To quote Shawmp: "Thy legs are as a chicken's sternum" (no, no. worry not: we don't understand it either). Shawmp's father is named McDonald DonaldMc, and Shawmp is an aspiring rapper. His father owns a cheese factory in Wisconsin, Shawmp once tried to burn it down. Shawmp has also held cow races for Betsy and Wetsy, and Wetsy failed when they hit the obstacle course.

My family is awesome.

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting. You make me feel really cool.