9.08.2011

Some scattered thoughts from my dorm room.

There is so much going on.

I feel like there's so many opportunities to serve and play here. So many possible lectures to attend. So many people to meet. So many things to plan.

And then sometimes I sit in my room and feel like there's nothing to do.

Also, I eat a lot of my meals alone. Sometimes, I feel bad for myself. I think to myself, "Wow. Everyone probably thinks I have no friends." But really, I shouldn't care. Because in all honesty, I really like eating alone. It gives me time to just sit and be. And people watching. That's always a plus.

I think maybe I try to hard.

I try too hard to make friends. It comes so naturally to some people. And honestly, I always thought it came naturally to me too. But now that I'm in a totally new setting and surrounded by people I've never had a conversation with before, I realize that I'm not that good at it. I struggle to come up with things to say that aren't cliche. And I doubt myself a lot. I wonder how what I'm saying sounds to whoever I'm saying it to.

Naps are so lovely. My body is now set on this weird schedule for naps. I always fall asleep for a few minutes in my 3 o'clock class, it's a bad habit. Biology and Book of Mormon will hopefully not suffer too much. The strange part is I've been getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep most nights.

I love Scott Brimley. He makes me laugh.

I wonder if I should be staying out later. Partyin til 3 or something. Or 4? I don't know. Maybe I'm not good at this college thing.

I really like the people in my hall.

I had to read 4 books of the Iliad the other night. I would have really enjoyed it had it not been so full of names. And the names of their fathers. And the names of their father's fathers.

I want to be able to make a piece of toast without having to walk outside to the Cannon Center. Unfortunately, I don't have that option.

Popcorn. Is so good.

Folk dance is such a blast. Today we did a dance from Poland and I just loved it. Also, we get to do TWO dances in Christmas Around the World! This is awesome, people. Also also, I get to be in the Homecoming parade! Y'all should come see me if you're nearby. It'll be great. My partner can't polka. But I plan on having that changed by next month.

The infamous "Freshman 15" is mostly intended for those of us in Helaman Halls.

I hope you all are doing well.


1 comment:

  1. College is a crazy thing. New situation, first time living away from home and friends and all that's familiar. It's also a time for self discovery. As one of a myriad of second cousins let me say this, you're a pretty cool chick. The things that make you different are the things that make you stand out and be awesome. You're lucky to have come from an awesome family and have remained very grounded and down to earth. Especially when it's quite possible to drink the Kool-Aid and become yet another victim to the bubble. But I digress. I assure you that making friends isn't and won't be a hard thing. Just stop trying. The people that are really worth knowing will gravitate to you and you're personality. (I mean really, if they're not down for random wizarding duels, why would you even want to know them?!?)
    SO BUCK UP LITTLE CAMPER! It's the beginning of Freshman year. You'll have that place whipped in no time. Just find your groove, and settle in for an amazing trip.
    2nd Cousin David, 3 lights down from Disneyland

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. You make me feel really cool.