8.20.2010

smells

Okay.

I really like smells. Good smells, obviously. I'm not too big a fan of that moldy food smell or whatever.

But GOOD smells? Oh, baby.

I got my hair done today. Somehow, the shampoo Polly uses is about SEVEN times as delicious smelling as the kind I use. I try to remind myself to look at what brand she uses, but of course I always forget. That's a really good smell.

I like natural smells. Rain? Every time there's a rainstorm I go sit on my porch. I love watching everything get soaking wet and I love seeing the leaves on the tree right in front of me all do a sort of tap dance when they get too heavy and full of water - they tip over and the tree looks like it moves. But I also sit on the porch so I can smell that delightful scent. It's a clean smell.

And hey. Grass right after it's been mowed? THAT smells like summer. (I also hope you got that Harry Potter reference)

It's crazy the connection smells have to memories. You know when you get a whiff of something, and all the sudden you're back at your best friend's house at the age of seven watching her mom cook dinner? Or wherever it takes you...

I have this perfume and no matter what, I always reminds me of my 9th grade year. Because I think that was the only perfume I really used that year. You'd think "Japanese Cherry Blossom" would remind me of... I don't know... Japan or something. But no. 9th grade. And all my best friends then.

Does anyone know what kind of detergent my cousins use? Because I swear, it's the most comforting detergent I've ever had the privilege of smelling.

New car? That leather smell? Mmmm.

Certain people have smells. Sometimes it's the perfume or cologne they wear, but often times it's not. And you associate those smells with memories too. So sometimes when I'm around certain people I feel super duper happy. And then let's say some stranger walks past with the same cologne/perfume? Funny.

Books. I'll walk into a book store, and the first thing I do is pick one up and sniff it. Sometimes I get strange looks, and usually anyone I'm with tends to walk about 5 feet in front of me after that. But oh well. It's the new book smell. And in case you didn't know, old books smell quite lovely too. It's a different smell, and it's a good different.

Cinnamon, oranges, mini sausages, pine, english muffins, cloves, hot chocolate.

...Christmas.

That's pretty much all I have to say right now. And yes, that post was all about smells. Please excuse my bizarre subjects.

2 comments:

  1. Its so weird when a smell takes me back to the children's hospital in Romania. I'm not really sure how to explain the smell... blood or body odor, floor grease... such a lovely smell, really. But man, it makes me miss those kids.
    I think your comment about Japanese Cherry Blossoms is hilarious
    -CK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna Banana.

    Just thought I'd let you know I've been blog-stalking you. And I love it! You are a fantastic writer. And everything on this page is adorable. Maybe you can teach me how to be a fancy blogger sometime (if I ever accumulate enough posts to warrant a blog makeover).

    You're inspiring. You're witty. You're wonderful.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. You make me feel really cool.